Today I had the pleasure to talk with a great Czech Tolkien artist with unique style, and a great person, - faQy
1. Hello! For the beginning, could you tell us something about yourself?
Hi!...i am student of animation, i like fairy tales and i live in small village somewhere under mountains :3
2. When did you read Tolkien's books for the first time, and what impression did they leave in you?
I think my first Tolkien book was The Hobbit. I was ten years old and I have read every fantasy book that i found in our small library.
I think I started drawing because of that Hobbit book - in czech version there are illustrations by Jiri Salamoun and i didn´t like them when I was young (now i think they are cute
..but when I was ten I liked "fantasy realism" and such things
But I really liked the story and i thought that this story deserves much better pictures - so I started drawing them (my illustrations were much worse than the ones by Salamoun but i liked them
) I see we have read the same version of the Hobbit as our first Tolkien book! But to the next question:
3. How extensive is your knowledge of Middle-earth? Do you consider yourself Tolkien expert?
No, no, I´m just fan. I like reading Tolkien's books - I read Lord of the Rings and Silmarillion a few times, but I have to improve my English first and read them in original
4. When the movies came out, many of the inner pictures of characters and scenes in the mind of the readers have been replaced by actors and settings from the movie. Did it happen to you as well? Did you try to prevent it?
I like the versions of the characters that are portrayed in the Lord of the Rings movie but when I am reading the books i imagine them different. 5. Now, could you tell us something about you and art? Are you a professional artist, or is art just your hobby? When did you start doing it, and who or what influenced your style?
I started drawing when I was 15 years old. Before I preferred reading and writting (and drawing illustrations for book I like... but just sometimes).
After that I somehow made exams and i started going to Art high school. From that time i was just drawing, drawing and drawing. Now I study animation and sometimes work as an illustrator or comic artist.
I'm collecting fairy-tale books and old illustrations are my biggest influence (my favorite is czech illustrator Jiri Trnka).
6. How do you choose which scenes and characters to illustrate?
It is really easy - in Tolkien's books you can draw illustration for every sentence. That is why I like drawing illustrations for Tolkien books so much.7. What art technique is your favourite? Do you rather keep to the art techniques and styles you are familiar with, or do you experiment with new ones as well?
I like experiments but i ussually do not have enough time for it. So my most favorite technique is combination of traditional and digital (like coloured pencils lineart and digital colouring)8. Do you have some tips and tricks you would like to share with the other artists?
Be original. I lot of people just tried to draw realistic Tolkien illustrations, but it is really great when somebody has their own style and draws the characters differently. 9. Could you give us a link or thumbnail from your gallery of
- a Tolkien illustration you are most proud of?
- a picture from other fandom or original picture you are most proud of?- a picture that fits your current mood?- a picture that was hardest to paint?- any other picture you would like to share with us and why?
I have a lot of pictures in my gallery but this one i really like this one10. What key people in your life, (on or off of dA) have been inspirations to you, or has supported you, as an artist? You can also tell us why, if you want.
Maybe my classmates - they are all so talented and they work really hard (so i have to work too if I want have good grades ). I think they are one of the reasons why I'm studying
And same with people here on deviantart (although artist here are so good that i ussually have depression and I don't draw at alll)
11. Is there some artist(s) at dA you know, who doesn't have as much attention as they would deserve? If yes, could you give us some thumbnails from their gallery?